Sunday, June 7, 2020

Malaysian Poem in Spanish Translatiom.

Thinking of You Mama

Mama 
if i do not come home
please do not talk about my love
for what we call the future
is making a high demand on us

I have left you mama
and you have surrendered me 
for we belong to time
and there is no time for tears.

Original (in Bahasa Melayu)

Seketika Terkenang Padamu Mama
Mama
jika aku tidak kembali
jangan ditanya tentang cinta
hari esok terlalu banyak meminta

Aku telah meninggalkan mamaku
dan kau telah menyerahkan anakmu
kerana kita milik waktu
Dan waktu tidak menunggu.




When I was very young I was afraid of growing up in the modern world. In my early twenties as a village girl, I have to travel alone into the city  to enroll as a University student. I spent most of my time studying and writing poems and short stories. Then I realized and felt somewhat guity for thinking less of home and my mother. I remembered lines from Khalil Gibran that says "your children are not your children/ they belong to tomorrow."  

That exactly what was happening to me. I was more attached to my writing than my mother. For all these feeling, I wrote "Seketika Terkenang Padamu Mama". published in our literary magazine. Years later I translated it to "Thinking of You Mama" . This has been compiled together with several more translations in a book entittled FACING THE HARBOUR, Published by ITBM  (Institute of Translation and Books Malaysia, 2010). The book was translated by Patricia Vazquez Marin as FRENTE AL PUERTO and this particular poem became Pensando en ti Mama . Later it was brought into French  by Jean Severy as EN REGARDANT LE PORT. co published by  L' Harmattan, Paris and  Institut of Translation and Books Malaysia 2015. . 


No comments:

Post a Comment