Saturday, October 12, 2013

POEMS FROM MALAYSIA by Zurinah Hassan

STANDING  ON THE JETTY
I stand on the waterfront
Seeing them off one by one
Those boats
As they sail to the river of age
To the ocean of time
As I have said at the jetty
Be careful my children
May you anchor on the best land,
This is your only boat
Keep your sail afloat

Standing on the jetty
I told my children
The ocean is a challenge




MARRIAGE
-          one woman’s opinion

Marriage is the difficulty
Of changing routine and priorities
That makes you less yourself
And a woman has to be less herself
In order to be more a woman

Marriage to a woman
Is  a protection
For her who dares not live
on her own identity
It is too costly and too risky

  

1 comment:

  1. I hope i could be a malay and english poet one day. I love your way of writing.

    ReplyDelete